Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Story...part 1

The Introduction:

The first time I remember seeing Scott was in Sunday School of the singles ward. He was sitting across the room from me, in the very back row. Judging by his body language, he seemed pretty disinterested in what was going on. I wasn't very impressed. The only reason I even noticed him was because 1. His sister was the teacher and made him say the prayer and 2. He was sitting next to someone I thought was kind of cute. I didn't know his name and honestly, I didn't remember who he was.

Fast forward to a few months later. I was again attending the singles ward and it was Testimony meeting. I felt the urge to go bear my testimony but was trying to avoid it at all costs. I was so intimidated by these people and didn't know a soul. I felt like such an outcast and didn't want to be judged as the divorced girl with the kids. Beyond that, I wasn't sure what I even wanted to say. As I sat on that row gathering my thoughts, a guy got up to speak. It happened to be Scott, but I was unaware of who he was at that time. He started bearing his testimony and took the exact words out of my mouth. It was like he could read my thoughts. It was very very strange. His testimony made me feel confident enough to go bear mine, so in turn I did.I even mentioned him in my testimony. Not only that, I mentioned that I had kids. I figured I better make it known that I'm a mom so then no one would waste time in trying to approach me if they weren't interested. I didn't think too much of Scott exactly after that, just thought the experience was something from the Lord.

After Sacrament meeting, I did as I always did-sat in my seat for 20 seconds and if I wasn't approached I would book it elsewhere so as not to look like a complete loner. I made a beeline for the bathroom and ducked in...wasting time and not even having a second thought about Scott. As I finished in the bathroom, and walked out, who should I see but Scott-standing there, waiting for me. "I'm Scott, the guy who talked about primary answers" he said to me. Given the fact that I still had wet hands from just washing them, I awkwardly accepted his outstretched hand. I wondered if he maybe had stalked me to the bathrooms (he did) after Sacrament or if he had just happened to be standing there. We chatted for a few minutes, he introduced me to his cousin Nick (turns out that was the "cute guy" from months earlier...haha) and he even asked me about my kids (major points). We discovered he and Nick had moved literally down the street from me just a few days prior. Coincidence? Sunday School started and we ended our conversation with him asking for my phone number and plans to get together soon. I was somewhat excited, seeing that I had only been asked out by one guy in the singles ward in my 5 months of sporatic attending. I tried not to get my hopes up though cause I had been burned before. But I determined if he had approached me knowing full well I have 2 kids, he couldn't have been that deterred.

That night I was over at my aunt and uncles house and received a voicemail on my phone. Low and behold, it was Scott inviting me over to play games with some people from the singles ward. I was shocked and how fast he moved. I didn't expect to hear from him for at least a few days. It showed me he was really interested....or desperate. This made me pretty cautious. I tried to play it cool and a little hard to get. I texted him awhile later and told him I couldn't go and maybe we could hang out another time. I couldn't be with a group of strangers the first time we hung out. I avoid those situations like the plague.

The next night, he invited me over to his house to hang out. I put my kids to bed and left my parent's house to head to the next street over. At this point, I wasn't exactly interested in him, but mostly was trying to be nice and stick to my commitment of being more outgoing. I was nervous, but was excited to get to know him. Little did I know how much I would really learn about him...

7 comments:

Dusty said...

Loved reading this Bon. Can't wait to hear more. Love you.

Hall of Halls said...

You are such a great writer Bonnie. I can't wait to read more. I am so happy for you!

Chantel said...

Love this...I knew he was the one for you! Can't wait to see more!

Courtney said...

So fun to read all the details - can't wait for installment #2

my mudda' calls me jack said...

I am LOVING this!!!! Keep 'em coming! Don't make us wait too long!!!!!!!

Selena and Russ!! said...

I can't take the suspense! I want to know more!

Alli said...

Cliffhangers! You are killing me Smalls!