Monday, February 7, 2011

defined

today i woke up and read this. which lead me to this. which lead me to this. interesting reads, at an interesting time. i thought all morning about it. i couldn't get it out of my head. i had just reminded myself last night, after watching a certain movie, that i should not be allowed to watch "chick movies" all about love and romance. it just is not healthy for me sometimes. it invites me to throw myself a pity part and live in a world that just is not reality. it invites me to look at what i don't have instead of what i do. it invites me to feel ungrateful and bitter. most times, i allow myself to do all of those, and it becomes easier and easier unfortunately.

i am mormon. i am 26. i have been divorced and single for almost 5 years. it has felt like 10. i have been in one relationship over those 4 years. i average 3 dates a year. those are my statistics. but those don't define me.

 to some, they chose to define themselves by sex. and in a sex driven society, it is easy to do so. my non-members friends find it outrageous i have abstained for so long. they don't think it's fair and don't see any logic in it. they focus on everything i'm missing out on. i focus on the strength i'm gaining by "missing" out on it. in other words, my 26 year old self can kick the crap out of my 18 year old self. as a woman who conceived a child outside the bonds of marriage, i'm all too familar with the "human nature" we all carry. i'm well aware of emotions, hormones and "natural man" that drives people to do what they do, without a care in the world. i also know it was one of the hardest times in my life. when sex is the focus of your world, it becomes a dark place. in a matter of weeks i lost any self-esteem i had as a 18 year old girl. i felt completely useless and alone. i became distant to those that knew me best and clung to those that wouldn't judge me. the day i discovered i was pregnant was one of the worst days i've ever experienced. the overwhelming grief and shame i felt was more than i could bear. i had let something so sacred and reserved for marriage become a careless act that had spun out of control and now it affected others, mainly my unborn child. i spent weeks in what i considered to be "hiding." i couldn't accept what i had done. i spent many sundays crying shameful tears throughout sacrament meeting. i felt an almost silly urge to warn those poor young woman that you're not invicible! no one is safe! ruunnn!! because how could that happen to me? i was the bishop's daughter. i didn't even date in high school. and by golly, i didn't even kiss anyone until i was 17. now that's a set-up for success, no?

but we all know how things turned out. and i have vowed to never to let such a "carnal instinct", if you will, drive me to any decision. i have gotten a lot of flack for maybe being too picky in my taste of men. but i have decided if i can't get what i deserve, i don't want it. i won't get married just for the perks. just for the companionship, the sex or the 2nd income. because when those are stripped, you're still stuck with each other whether you love each other or not. and let's hope you do. i am surrounded by an enormously blessed family. my siblings and parents each are blessed with spouses that adore them and they adore. their children are beautiful and the product of an eternal marriage. their lives according to me, are perfection. this is what i strive for. this is part of the plan Heavenly Father wants for us. but that's not always how it goes for everyone. our paths are all different. some have a harder journey than others. i'm still learning how to accept that.

maybe my thoughts will change if i'm 36 and still not married (i hope they wont). but the principle won't. the plan won't. Heavenly Father wants us to be blessed and feel loved. but i don't accept that His main concern is about sex. the longer i am alone, the more i struggle to feel beautiful, amazing or anything else that might go into such a catagory. so in the meantime, i find love and acceptance from family, my children and my friends. i find it in snuggles, in "i love you's", hugs and compliments. it doesn't always fill the void, but it will help if you allow it. i've learned, although i don't always remember it, that you can be happy,single and a devoted member of the church. imagine that.

17 comments:

Packer Family said...

Loved it bon! Never settle! You do deserve the best!!!!!

Hall of Halls said...

I loved this post Bonnie. It was so real and personal. I can't imagine what you have been through, but I know it has made you stronger. The times in my life that have been the hardest, the more I have relied on my Savior to get me through. I admire you so much, hang in there. You are beautiful. Love you!

Heidi Totten said...

I absolutely adore you, little cousin. You are beautiful and wonderful and you deserve nothing less than the best. Keep in mind that I waited until I was 30 and found Dave and we all know how wonderful he is. :) Always be authentically you and you will never settle.

The LaLa said...

Great minds think alike, and the Spirit speaks to those who seek. I'm so glad you found these articles, even before I sent you the link. As I told you, you get it. You really do get it. I am so grateful, and so proud of you.

Heather said...

Spectacularly awesome post, Bon.

Alli said...

Bravo! You rock Bon. Can I download that into my kid's brains?

Jenn said...

beautifully stated & inspirational. you are simply lovely.

abby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
abby said...

that rocked my socks off bon. it was perfect. you're amazing and i can't wait to see who's lucky enough to get you.

i feel like the NYT article and a lot of commenters ignore the fact that EVERYONE has major problems. everyone. being single and alone is a major problem. i'm sure it's one of the harder things to endure in this life. being in a crappy marriage is also a major problem. and then there are issues of poor health, no money, abuse, etc. recognizing that everyone else has problems shouldn't diminish one's own problems, but it should put things into perspective, i think.

Tatum said...

Bonnie is the BEST!
I have known that since I was little.

LOVED your post!

You rock!

the end.

kvhawker said...

I love having a peek into your heart and mind, you are amazing to share with others your wonderful perspective. I wonder why women that have never married think that they have suffered more than women that have had to make their own way after a divorce! Continue to be strong and rely on the Savior and your amazing family.

Brewer's Ink said...

It is only someone with strength and dignity that can turn life's experiences into understanding, and then share it with others without fear. You, Bonnie, are an amazingly strong woman! Love you. -Jeanette

taytum said...

Oh so much I want to say...I think you are SO cute and I always have. Because I was younger than you when we met as roommates I felt so inferior and really wanted to be a close friend but it never happened. I remember very well the day you moved out and your parents came to get you. Many tears were shed & I wished more than ever that day that we were better friends. You see, I am the product of 'carnal desire'. I am to my mom what grace is to you. She was in a very similar situation. I think she still feels bad about her choices. But I'll tell you what, it has made for a very special bond between us and above all else she has been my one constant figure in my life as I'm sure you are to your kids. You are amazing!

Erin said...

LOVED THIS!!!!! This was so well written, SO brave, and just made me think the world of you. Thanks for sharing with us. It made me reflect a lot on my own life in areas that needed some attention.

Mrs. Buv said...

Under different circumstances (which you know), I was alone for over 8 years after my marriage "ending". It truly is hard to be alone. You have come so far. You are amazing. Someday you'll look back on this time and wonder why you thought it was so rough. Never give up. Never lose your faith. Never forget how much you are loved. :)

peachytiffers said...

I LOVE reading your blog. I love what you say, I love to look at your cute family, I love to be jealous of how beautiful you are, I love to see how much you have accomplished. I always feel weird because I know that we are not really friends, but Chantel always RAVED about how awesome you were and knew that we would be amazing friends once we met. That never really happened due to similar circumstances. Our story is so similar. I was Bishop's daughter, felt all those feelings that you wrote about. My path has been different, and difficult too, but also with blessed friends and family. You are such a great example to me in many ways and I hope that it isn't too weird that we only have a mutual friend, but I wanted you to know that I really appreciated your post, and I read all of them, I just don't comment on them like I should. If you ever need a friend, favor, or someone new to get to know, feel free to let me know! :)

Peck Family said...

Hi bonnie. haven't seen you forever. every once in a while (like 6 months) i actually read blogs. Loved comming across yours today and seeing how you are doing and really loved this post! I think you rock and have always thought you rocked. come to thatcher and visit. i would love to catch up! Rachel